So, six months in, I thought I’d have a quick review of the blog so far.
- I’ve posted 29 songs, although one of those was only 30 seconds long.
- I’ve classified 13 songs so far under Love Sex & Courtship and 5 under Crime & punishment. There have also been 6 carols
- Only 3 songs so far from the Copper Family, so plenty more to come from that source; another 3 from George Maynard and four from members of the Willett Family.
- Only 1 modern song, all the rest have been traditional. And of those traditional songs, 2 were Irish, all the others English – and pretty much all Southern English, at that (in fact all of them, I think, from the Southern half of England).
I have to say that, if anything, I’m now even more in awe of Jon Boden for managing to keep up A Folk Song A Day all through last year. A quick search suggests that few of the songs I’ve sung so far appeared on Jon’s blog; only these:
- Week 3 – Saucy Sailor > Saucy Sailor
- Week 11 – Spencer the Rover > Spencer The Rover
- Week 17 – The Holly and the Ivy > The Holly & The Ivy
- Week 21 – A Wager > Broomfield Hill
- Week 26 – Lord Bateman > Lord Bateman
Not sure that proves anything, except there are clearly more than 365 folk songs out there!